Monday, April 20, 2009

A New Home

It's finally done! Our "no money spent" chicken coop is move in ready. We had a motto when building this, we were not going to spend a penny on it, and we didn't. The building itself came from a family home that burnt down, it was all that was left standing. Some siding was melted, but the chickens don't seem to mind. The lumber was from an old trailer we tore apart and scrapped, the wire was from a chicken coop and garden from about 25 years ago! Storm door and windows were found in the loft of a family barn, who knows where they came from, but judging from the coat of dust on them, they won't be missed. We also confiscated some nesting boxes, feeders and waterers from years gone by. I guess it's a fair trade for farm fresh eggs!!!
We have left the large "people" door open until they figure out how to use this one. At first they seem to have thought it was just a window. They are too funny all pushing and shoving to be able to peer outside at their new world outside the box. I love watching their personalities develop. They are finally starting to make chicken noises too, not just the sweet little "peeps". Can't wait for the roosters to crow.
Love this picture...the little Bantam peeps like to hide other the three larger ones in the box. We are not real sure what the larger ones are. We were told they were Dominiques, but I am doubtful. Anyone able to help in this department? We also have one solid grey bird with a black beak, all the others have orange beaks.
And lastly, I have to show my sweet old girl. She is after all, sharing her pasture. This is Abby, my 27yr old Thoroughbred. I've had her since she was 5. We have been through alot together and I hope she will live forever as I cannot imagine life without her!

No comments: