Monday, April 13, 2009

Easter Progress

First of all, let me say Happy Easter to everyone and I hope Spring is finding you. Our weather here in NE PA is slowly starting to warm up. I am noticing more and more signs of Spring everyday. My husband is starting the summer long process of trapping groundhogs, my horse is eating less hay and drinking less water, she is finding what she needs in her pasture, and today we saw our first farmer working up his fields. Soon, they will be planting.

Here is a little peek at one of our new Bantam chicks .
Notice the feathered legs and feet? I have now added 6 of these to our flock, they will be keepers and most likely NOT going to the butcher. Of the first 13, we have now established that 7 of them are roosters. Leaving us with 6 laying hens, all of which are Rhode Island Red crosses.








I took the Easter weekend off from weaving and started a new project, as if I need more! I few months ago I had purchased two balls of Schoeller & Stahl's Limbo yarn. It is a 100% virgin wool superwash, worsted weight. I LOVED the color and had to have it! Before Christmas I had bought a book on crocheted sock patterns, Crocheted Socks by Janet Rehfeldt and Mary Jane Wood. I started their Pebbled Sand, toe up, sock and am in the process of turning the heel. It is going to be a very heavy, very warm, pair of socks as each row of a single crochet is the passed over a second time as you do a long single crochet into the stitched two rows down. Me feet should be very happy next winter wearing these!

I also took advantage of my self proclaimed vacation and dug into this pile of roving I had purchased from Phylleri Ball, of SteamValley Fibers. It is a colorway of hers called Silver Sparks and is a blend of 55% wool, 40% kid Mohair and 5% Nylon Glitz. The little card she gave me with it says the goats names are Neville, Lavender and Lily. I think it's kind of neat to know the names of the critters who shared their wool with me! It is a beautiful blend of natural greys, pink, blues and purples. Very subtle shading to say the least. I've been longing for the time to get to this.






While catching up on all the of the TV shows I had stored on
my DVR, (You know, all the shows that the husbands don't want to watch (Ghost Whisperer, Legend of the Seeker, and sadly, General Hospital) or in the case of the latter, shows the kids cannot watch) I spun two bobbins full. Now this is where wanting my own wheel is really stating it's case. I only have one bobbin with my "borrowed" wheel. So in order to ply, I have to spin a bobbin, then wind into a ball, spin another bobbin, wind into a ball and then ply from two balls which are rolling all over my floor. The dog chasing them and getting all tangled up just pleads my case for me to my husband.





But here is the end result. I am pretty tickled with it. My consistency is getting better. It turned out to be a sport weight. or maybe DK. I need one of those little gauge gadgets, add it to my wish list! I am not ready to spin to a desired weight, it is what it is. I let the roving decide what it wants to be and then just try to spin consistently until I'm done.

But the best part....I got the go ahead to get my wheel! I will be vending my baskets at a Fiber Festival in Conn at the end of the month. If I can find the wheel I want, at the price I want, I will be bringing one home with me. Otherwise, I think I will be ordering one when I get home. Yippee!!!!!
































<

2 comments:

Tammy said...

Very nice yarn Deb!! Spinning seems to be in the family genes.
Love the socks too.
Hope you get your own wheel very soon!
Hugs
Tam

Nancy at EmbroideryIt.com said...

I think your sock looks so comfy. Since I've been teaching myself to crochet I've learned about felting and that is done with animal fibers. So my question is...Can you wash your socks?
Blessings,
Nancy
www.basketmasterweavings.blogspot.com