Monday, February 9, 2009

Productivity




This has been a busy week in our household. Along with regular household duties, tending to the MANY, constant, needs of two small children, an aging horse who's health is calling for spring and my own annoying effects of MS, I have actually managed to get some weaving done. This past week, I wove an egg basket, a market basket, a small berry basket, gourd and a freeform bowl made from all natural materials. The free form bowl was not my cup of tea...I am way to symetrical for this type of weaving. Chalk it up to a lesson learned...don't do free form!


I've also started a wool scarf for my son. His neck is way to exposed for my comfort. He had a scarf in the beginning of winter and is very careful about these things. You do not need to worry about him forgetting or loosing things at school. Instead we lost ours to some poor person who felt it neccesary to steal it from the neck of our first snowman of the season. I figured he, or she, must have needed it more than the snowman, so I'll make more!






I also found the time to finish another pair of
socks, my feet are really becoming happy! We
live in a 200 year old farmhouse with mud, stone
and horsehair walls. There is no insulation to be
heard of and these cold days and nights make it
almost unbearable. To make matters worse, our
equally uninsulated kitchen is build on a crawl-
space not deep enough to crawl through, the floor is freezing, even with a carpet! My feet, which
are happy all summer being bare naked, are only
happy in the winter dressed in wool and slippers



Lastly in my productive week, I found a few moments to sit at the spinning wheel. Now I obviously need more than a few moments, and I need them at much closer intervals in order to retain any progress made, but this is actually keepable. Not for knitting or crocheting, but I will work it into some baskets, can't waste it now can I? I'll post a picture of the finished project once I figure out what it is going to be....

4 comments:

Tammy said...

Very nice!
A little time each day at the wheel will make the inconsistency go away...great idea for using your first yarn!

Debbie said...

Thanks Tam. I can't waste it, worked to hard to get it!

Nancy at EmbroideryIt.com said...

Your baskets turned out beautiful. I am amazed at how much you got done. I squeeze every chance I can to get to weave. I'll visit your blog often.
Nancy
www.basketmasterweavings.blogspot.com

Debbie said...

Thanks Nancy, my weaving keeps me in my happy place. Sometimes when things get at their worse it's when I get the most done.